Thursday, June 3, 2010

And the winner is ...

Remember the tomato contest Sunny was in with Uncle Rick and Grandpa?

The contest that awarded bragging rights to the gardener who could grow the first edible tomato of the season? Remember my previous post, showing my little Green Thumb's progress. Remember how she's spent the last month tending to her precious little sprouts ... watering on hot days and covering on cold nights? Remember ... remember ...


The following picture is probably the saddest one I've taken ALL year ...

Varmint holes! At least a half dozen of them all over my little angel's garden.


And the tomatoes ... yep, MIA.
Ooh, darn those tomato stealing gophers!

Thankfully ...
I noticed the missing tomatoes before she did,

and thankfully ...
I had a couple of on-the-vine guys on my counter

and thankfully ...
I wasn't caught hanging them on the tomato cage.


You should have heard her excitement,
"Oh ... my ... gosh, Mom, I WIN, I WIN!!!"
phew - crisis averted, summer salvaged, child's emotions in tact.
Do I feel bad about "lying" to my 5 year old?
Not even for a second!

And miracle of miracles ... she even tasted the prize winner for herself.
Congratulations, little Green Thumb!

(Oh, and gopher ... I've got my eye on you.)

7 comments:

Bridgette said...

Nice save Jean! That is so fun that she got so into it.

Nate and Lana Hope said...

You are such a great mom! So glad she didn't have to see that her precious tomato was stolen!

Terry Family said...

What a cute story and great memory for down the road. That was some quick thinking on your part!

Shelley Gee said...

What a sweet mom you are!!!!

Amberly said...

What a great mom you are! I love that picture of your cute little gardener.

Kari Clark said...

I would not feel bad for a second either - that was a great story! And every time I see a picture of your little Sunny, I can't get over how much she looks like Steve! She's a doll.

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

I love this, by the way.