Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I'm a sucker for a Museum ...

We spent the morning at the Michigan Historical Museum. I love this place. Sunny, Ike, and I discovered it a few months ago with some friends and knew instantly we'd be back with Gage and Steve. This museum is HUGE, vibrant, exciting, informative, interactive, entertaining ... in short, I LOVED it. It made me kick myself for never visiting the Warhawk Air Museum in Caldwell. It will be a MUST on my list for our return to Boise. And next will be the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point in UT. I love dinosaurs and museums but oddly, never made the effort to go. HA! I will be rendering that mistake as soon as I'm able. I'm going to put some pictures of the outing up. Hopefully to inspire some of you other history museum geeks out there to check out the one in your town. Happy exhibiting!

**********************************************
Sunny tries out her guitar skills at the Rock and Roll exhibit ...
I'll try to post her personal contribution to the Motown Record Studio exhibit later. This girl has got the moves!

Gage tries not to look to thrilled as we check out this sweet Corvette in the 1950's "floor show" exhibit. I, on the other hand, had to wipe the drool from my chin. This hot little number would look GREAT in my garage!!

Sunny is helping me show off one of my favorite displays ... the 1950's "modern kitchen". I am totally in love with the powder pink and baby blue appliances. The museum had a kitchen display from almost every era ... so by the time we made it here (the '50s) this kitchen really did look like an amazing new world of convenience.

Ford was a smart one. He recruited from the mines and mills and farms at double the pay to work in his auto plants. $5.00 a day was too tempting for most to pass up.


This state mural is massive and greets you as you enter. It's visible from each floor's open balcony section. The 7 ft. Christmas trees by the window give you a bit of size perspective. I also love the massive pines to the right. So impressive for an entrance.


The scene was to perfect to pass up. A buggy ride seemed appropriate against this amazingly vibrant mural. The recording of birds chirping overhead was the perfect finishing touch.


The old school room was Gage's favorite part. He thought the role of teacher to Sunny's student was quite appropriate. They could have played in here ALL day. When I told him his Grandma and Grandpa went to school in rooms like this his response was, "Aww, no fair!"

4 comments:

Elizabeth Peterson said...

That sounds like a fun museum. We have been to the airhawk museum in Caldwell and it is pretty cool...especially if you are a history buff. Steve would love it!

I took the kids to the Dinosaur museum outside of ogden last summer and that was pretty cool. Ryker loved the moving ones so much he would have sat and stared for hours. It was very cool.
So glad you are making the most of your time in Michigan!

Nate and Lana Hope said...

Wow! Looks like a fantasic museum! It reminds me of the discovery center! I love how they can play and have hands on while they visit!
ps the word verification to leave this comment really caught my eye! It reads..
inkenad...
when I first glanced I saw..
ikesmad!

Amberly said...

That sounds like a fabulous museum. I would love a set of powder blue and soft pink appliances. Well, for a while anyway.

The dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point is really great. I went with Carter's class and four others and still enjoyed it. :)

jess and seth said...

What I wouldn't give for a museum like that where we live! Jean & Steve, your kids are SO BLASTED CUTE! They look just like both of you, too.